2005 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 24 Jul 2005 17:30:51 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Virginia governor proposes aid

Warner proposes BRAC aid

By CHRISTINA NUCKOLS
The Virginian-Pilot
July 22, 2005

Gov. Mark R. Warner said Thursday he will push for $25 million in state aid to help Virginia cities and counties facing economic crisis due to federal decisions to shutter or downsize their military bases.

The money could be used for roads and other infrastructure, environmental clean up, and training for displaced workers, Warner aides said.

" ... we recognize that changing defense requirements will likely lead to the shifting of personnel and facilities from some areas to others," Warner said in a written statement. "We plan to use this funding to help affected communities with the transition, and to show the Department of Defense that Virginia remains an active and cooperative partner."

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=89575&ran=36725&zr=1