2005 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 5 Aug 2005 07:25:38 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Madison (IN) mayor criticized Army's inaction at Jefferson Proving Ground

[When I visited the Jefferson Proving Ground a few years ago, the Army's
Base Environmental Coordinator told me that the Army had years earlier
made a policy decision not to spend any money on cleanup above the
firing line - that is, on most of the former Army range. I've been
asking for a copy of that decision ever since, but I've never seen it.
And I've never seen any explanation why Indiana's Department of
Environmental Management hs not challenged the Army's inaction. - LS]

Army's lack of action at JPG angers Huntington

Peggy Vlerebome
Madison Courier (IN)
August 4, 2005

The U.S. Army has done a disservice to the public by not promptly
decontaminating and decommissioning Jefferson Proving Ground, Save the
Valley and Madison Mayor Al Huntington told the federal agency that
oversees what happens to radioactive and toxic depleted uranium at the
former munitions testing site.

"We are frustrated and angry with the cavalier attitude exhibited by the
Army regarding the decommissioning of JPG and the environment of
Southeastern Indiana," Huntington wrote in a letter to the U.S. Nuclear
Regulatory Commission.

Save the Valley contends in paper work recently filed with the NRC that
by letting the Army frequently change its proposals for what it plans to
do at JPG, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission staff is violating a
long-standing NRC rule on timely decommissioning and putting the burden
of proof on Save the Valley and similar citizen organizations, instead
of on the Army.

http://www.madisoncourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=4&SubSectionID=253&ArticleID=25269