2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 27 Sep 2006 21:30:58 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] More about South Weymoutn West gate landfill

Another message on former South Weymouth Naval Air Station's West Gate Landfill to the South Shore Tri-Town Development Corporation from Dave Wilmot <DCatbird37@aol.com>:

September 27, 2006

Mary & Mr. Fancher,

I appreciate you providing me with your 07-26-06 letter to the Navy stating you agree with my opinion that capping of the West Gate Landfill CERCLA Fund site at this time has not been proven sufficiently to be "properly protective of human health and the environment long term".

I myself, don't believe anything short of complete removal of the toxic landfill will afford responsible protection of public health, but our government demands proof that I'm correct in that well-founded assumption rather than them providing anything to prove me wrong.

Public health in this country and around the world is sacrificed for the financial bottom line. I don't believe this is right at all, but that's the way it is. The Department of Defense controls public health initiatives in this country, and that's that.

The cleanup levels of military toxins at this air station, as they are at all national former military facilities, are controlled by the Department of Defense.

It is no surprise to me at all that the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) has completely disengaged themselves from monitoring this base cleanup process. Their existence itself, although touting themselves as protectors of public health, is much more concerned with protecting military interests, than getting to the bottom of the environmental illnesses that are plaguing the western world.

I am glad to learn the Development Corporation (SSTTDC) has some regard for public health as regards this landfill.

I was completely taken aback by the Navy's approved capping of the previously carried out Rubble Disposal Area (RDA) CERCLA site landfill. Giving the proximity of wetlands abutting Old Swamp River, and that feeding the city of Weymouth's primary drinking water source, I couldn't believe you and other governing factors would allow such insanity.

I was sure that any hopes for potable water preservation from base-shared acquifers, were hopeless at that point.

Hearing now of your concern for protecting potable water is a great relief, from one citizen whose town is so water starved we find ourselves under constant water bans.

I was sorry that your correspondence arrived "snail mail" as I had hoped to keep a shared correspondence going on email, as I believe in this case it could be helpful to those involved with public health on and surrounding the base, as well as the EPA water people (Bill Brandon & USGS team) as well as involved public health officials (Rick Sugatt of EPA, and Suzanne Condon, Dr Knorr and their office at Massachusetts Department of Public Health) are apprised of your health concerns .Local Watershed people should also be involved.

I believe the "Public Process" much touted during this long BRAC process needs to become just that.

Thank you for your comments to the Navy.

It is far beyond time that those appointed to Defend us (those being the Department of Defense) do just that. .

regards, dave wilmot

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org