2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 12 Jan 2006 17:43:49 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Relocation a hard sell

[From the start, I've been skeptical of plans to move Defense Department civilian professional workers from the DC area to less urban areas in Alabama and Texas. As long as there are other job opportunities in the capital region, I would expect many to decline to move. This article focuses on young workers, but I expect that many people who have been working in the DC-area for a couple of decades to stay, as well. It's even possible that Defense civilians approaching retirement will "commute" for a few years, taking temporary week-day housing in the new job location but maintaining their homes - and keeping their families - back in the Capital region. - LS]

Younger workers prove to be a hard sell
20-somethings ask about the nightlife: 'You have choices'

By PATRICIA C. McCARTER
Huntsville Times (AL)
January 12, 2006

ARLINGTON, Va. - Not everyone who works in Washington, D.C., is pining for lower mortgages, smaller property tax bills and shorter commutes.

For some young professionals, living in the big city brings rewards that compensate for the expense and inconveniences.

Delegates from the Tennessee Valley who came this week to woo Department of Defense employees to Redstone Arsenal couldn't promise these 20-somethings that Huntsville could offer the same kind of nightlife as the nation's capital does, but they did tell them that they could have a good time here.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/news/1137061070317560.xml&coll=1