2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 2 Mar 2006 01:19:47 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] South Weymouth Naval Air Station (MA) cleanup

Airbase cleanup on tap

By Ed Baker
Weymouth News (MA)
March 1, 2006

A considerable amount of hazardous contaminants at the former South Weymouth Naval Air Station must be removed or entombed before the site can be fully developed by LNR Property Corporation, according to state and federal environmental officials.

Refuse on the base consists largely of; lead, aluminum, copper, nickel, zinc, PCB's dioxins, pesticides and cleaning solvents. These elements were used by the U.S. Navy at the base until it closed in 1997 under a nationwide closure of military installations.

"We have 10 Super Fund sites," James Young, an environmental consultant to LNR said to town council on Feb. 20. "We do see potential impact to development if the remediation does not go along faster."

http://www2.townonline.com/weymouth/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=438746

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org