2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 17 Mar 2006 02:52:28 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Firm to end housing contract at Brunswick (ME)

GMH to end housing contract
Firm not interested in managing 622 housing units after BNAS closes.

Elizabeth Dorsey Brunswick Times Record (ME) March 16, 2006

BRUNSWICK — The private company that manages 623 military housing units in Brunswick and Topsham plans to end its contract with the Navy by the time Brunswick Naval Air Station closes in 2011.

Mark Lavin, a vice president with GMH Military Housing, said Wednesday that his company is still working out the details of how and when it will terminate its 50-year contract, but he pledged to work with the towns and the local redevelopment authorities to make sure the transition is smooth.

"We want to leave town as the Navy leaves it. We want to leave it a better place than we found it and we want to leave it how you want to see it left," Lavin told members of the Brunswick Local Redevelopment Authority, the 13-member panel charged with developing a master reuse and zoning plan for the base property, including the property on which the housing is located.

http://www.timesrecord.com/website/main.nsf/news.nsf/0/D8F54535A39E7E4F05257133005917C4?Opendocument