2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 13 May 2006 19:38:27 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Camp Bonneville ordnance concerns

This letter is reprinted with permission. - LS

VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS OF THE UNITED STATES
Gus Forbes Post 1927
P.O. Box 366
434 Davidson Street
Woodland, WA., 98674-0366

May 11, 2006

Honorable Chris Gregoire

Office of the Governor
P. O. Box 4002
Olympia, WA  98504-0002

RE: Request for audience concerning Camp Bonneville

Dear Governor Gregoire:

I am requesting an audience with you to discuss the reuse plan that is currently being proposed by officials from Clark County for Camp Bonneville. I, as a Vietnam veteran and Commander of Gus Forbes VFW Post 1927 and many other concerned members of the community have grave doubts about the use of Camp Bonneville as a 'free range' park. I and no more than 3 other concerned community members would like to meet with you by May 24, 2006 to present our side of this controversial proposal.

We have attempted to write to you to let you know of how strongly we feel about this proposal and our desire to have you stop the transfer of this property by the Army to Clark County for their use as a park. We have heard from Department of Ecology and their response does not answer our question about halting the transfer. Only you can make that decision and you can do that by not signing the Prospective Purchaser Consent Decree (Decree).

Pursuant to 42 U.S.C. 92620(h)(3)(C)(i), the Army must determine that Early Transfer Parcel is suitable for transfer. The Army's determination is set forth in the FOSET. A facility not on the National Priorities List(NPL), the Governor of the state in which the facility is located has the final determination that the property is suitable for transfer. Camp Bonneville is NOT on the NPL, thus you as Governor will determine the suitability of the 'dirty transfer' of Camp Bonneville from the Army to Clark County. You and only you may halt this transfer of a parcel of land for use as a park that is unsafe and not suited for our children and grandchildren to play. If you have the authority to approve this transfer, you also have the authority to NOT APPROVE the transfer. The Army may not execute a Deed to convey this property without your approval. Your approval of this transfer would place anyone that steps foot in this park in the future in dire danger and possible death or injury from unexploded ordnance (UXO).

I am asking that we be granted an audience and that this letter not be sent off into some other office of the State Government for their response. I and other concerned citizens want to know what you as Governor has to say on this subject and not what others in your administration have to say. We want to hear it directly from you what your thoughts are about transferring Camp Bonneville to Clark County for use as a park, knowing that the potential of someone being killed or injured in the future by UXO is a very real possibility and knowing that you can prevent this from happening.

I will be attending the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, Summer Meeting in Yakima in June, 2006. I am looking forward to presenting your response to our 40,000 state membership concerning this matter and asking that a 'resolution' be prepared and submitted to your office and also requesting that it be sent to the National Headquarters of the VFW for their approval.

David Olmsted Commander Gus Forbes Post 1927 Woodland, WA 98674

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org