2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 Oct 2006 17:39:42 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] South Weymouth Naval Air Station

From: Dave Wilmot <DCatbird37@aol.com>

Lenny, I think your reuse audience should be interested in the back and forth going on here, as in this reply back to a local news reporter who printed an article on a local community group's attempted injunction to halt the start of any base redevelopment until complete characterization of ground water and aquifer underlying remaining unremediated Cercla sites has been responsibly completed.

Communication between former host communities is key. Please share these concerns with your reuse readership.

thanks, dave

[Message from Wilmot to a reporter at the Ledger:]

This story is bigger than you can imagine.

The Department of Defense is doing everything in it's power to force contaminated lands and waterways back on an unsuspecting public. By using circumvention of established Superfund law to pass former military bases off to greed driven developers before it is clean, is morally wrong, yet the current administration and political web in place orchestrates just that.

A mostly unsuspecting public is being force fed increased environmental health burden, in the name of outside financial growth.

Having been involved intimately with this base cleanup for the past eight years, I understand completely what the citizens group is trying to accomplish.

People will berate them, but they should be seen as heroes.

The developers lawyer understands nothing of the deception and lack of public process here.

Congressman Delahunt's office has fallen silent after staying in close contact with me for years.

With mounting evidence that environmentally released toxins, like those present in the water and soils of military bases, are increasingly held responsible for rising incidences of chronic disease in the world, how is it that our government can overlook it.

Environmental remediation is extremely costly. How costly, the government has yet to find out. The astronomical rise in chronic illness incidence surrounding Superfund designated facilities and health care costs out of control should make it clear to our elected officials, that passing off warranted Superfund cleanup of military toxins, is a grave mistake.

I for one applaud the patriots who step forward to do right.

If you mention my name to your editor, you'll likely be remanded, as the Ledger has long ago silenced any of my concerns. I have to assume that putting Mr. Delahunt and Mr. Kerry in an unfavorable light has damned me in your paper's eyes. Politics as usual damns the Public Health.

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org