2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 16 Nov 2006 18:00:44 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Escanaba (MI) tank farm

Housing project moving slowly

By Mary Feldhusen
Escanaba Daily Press (MI)
November 15, 2006

WELLS TOWNSHIP - An upscale housing development project proposed by the Hannahville Indian Community for Wells Township has advanced past the planning stages. But, it's progressing very slowly.

"We'd like to do it right away," said Dave Anthony, director of community development and government affairs for the Hannahville Indian Community. "A lot depends on discussions with the Air Force."

A portion of property earmarked for development in Wells Township is owned by the U.S. Air Force. The land, used as a former Defense Fuel Supply Point, is often referred to locally as the "tank farm." It was home to huge tanks used for storage of jet fuel that was pumped up to K.I. Sawyer Air Force Base in Gwinn. Since the base was decommissioned in 1995, the Air Force has been in the process of trying to get rid of the property.

http://www.dailypress.net/stories/articles.asp?articleID=5878

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org