2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 6 Dec 2006 19:19:48 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] San Francisco reviews Treasure Island plan

SAN FRANCISCO
Treasure Island's redevelopment plan faces 'biggest step'

Robert Selna
San Francisco Chronicle (CA)
December 6, 2006

A proposal to transform Treasure Island and its neighbor, Yerba Buena Island, into an environmentally friendly development with 13,500 new residents, will come under closer scrutiny Wednesday when it is presented to two Board of Supervisors committees.

The development plan calls for a $1.2 billion investment of private and public funds. The money would be spent to clean up pollution left behind on the former Navy base in the bay, make the 365-acre island seismically safe, and to build 6,000 "green" homes, a new ferry terminal and nearly 300 acres of parks and other open space.

"This hearing is the single biggest step in a detailed process that has been in the planning stages for more than four years," said Jack Sylvan, an aide to Mayor Gavin Newsom working on the redevelopment project. "We're very proud of a plan that we've thought long and hard about and we think achieves a balance taking into consideration a wide range of issues."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/12/06/ISLANDS.TMP

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org