2007 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 26 Jan 2007 17:32:08 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] South Weymouth (MA) manganese

Submitted by Dave Wilmot <DCatbird37@aol.com>

Hello Mr. Congressman, Mr. Senator, EPA et al,

Two weeks has past since my last request for answers, and I have heard back from no one's office.

That's not quite true. I got a response from Tyke Crowley of Senator Kerry's office.

It must be much longer than a year since my former Kerry contact, Meaghan Hohl let me know that Tyke would be handling my concerns from now on.

This correspondence from Tyke was the first of any kind I ever received from him, and it was just to tell me he's moved on to new responsibilities. Any new correspondence or concerns should be aired to a particular phone number, I'm told. Communication from constituents evidently no longer warranted from my Senator's office.

After Mr. Kerry shut down the ability for constituents to contact him personally via email, even the requested postings to his web site go unanswered.

         What power does the common man have to share concern?

After years of close contact, my Congressman's office, even though assuring me on his boilerplate email received message, that "A response will be coming as soon as humanly possible", I find myself still waiting for responses three years after the fact.

        How can I not be disappointed.

        My own physical strength is being drained from me.

The ongoing threat of my mental strength's decline is always over my shoulder.

How can I not be disappointed by my elected leaders and my federal government?

              I, like many around me, suffer from a neurological disease

As my disease could only be environmentally triggered by a breach of my body's Blood Brain Barrier (BBB), and Manganese is capable of doing this. Exposure to neuro-toxic levels of the metal has continued to interest me, the more the government steers clear of giving me clear answers to my questions.

         Why are the EPA and IRIS forced to ignore evolving science ?

Does Manganese's federal definition as a "Strategic Metal" afford it some kind of unjust protection from environmental law?

          Why can't I let these ignored questions rest?

As I suspected, and reported on my last ignored email, the just released Geo-Chemical Section of the long awaited Basewide Watershed Assessment plainly outlines Manganese as a major component of the orange flocculent filling the lifeless Frenches Stream as it flows off the former airbase into our neighborhoods.

Why does the EPA find it responsible to leave Manganese off it's list of substances tracked for adverse health outcomes, while knowing high levels of this metal are neurotoxic in nature ?

The EPA knows that the neurological affliction of "Manganism" is directly related to welders inhaling Manganese fumes. Studies now report that inhaling hot shower steam from water high in Manganese can cause these same neurological problems.

And yet the public protectors find it acceptable here on the former South Weymouth Naval Air Station(SWNAS), to let neuro-toxic levels of this substance, most likely the result of decades of unsound disposal of coal-burning on-base power plant fly-ash refuse, to go unchecked in our environment.

Manganese is only one of the many toxic-level substances in ill-disposed fly-ash.

        Arsenic is another heavy metal component.

The state department of public health, had been engaged in a long study of the still unresolved cases of arsenic poisoning in South Weymouth neighborhoods. Might uncontrolled disposal of Navy fly-ash be the answer? I never heard that possibility discussed at community meetings...

Why have I spent years asking the same questions regarding Manganese?

Welders proven to be suffering Manganese poisoning are plagued with nerve degeneration, weakness in the muscles, muscle tremors, burning and tingling sensations, gait changes, debilitating movement issues, disturbances of memory and cognitive function, over-powering fatigue, learning disabilities, disturbances of smell and taste function, impotence, changes in libido, and a laundry list of other neurological consequences.

People like myself suffering from Multiple Sclerosis share the same symptoms; why shouldn't what I consider to be irresponsible, immoral regard for my family and others like us living in harms way by former military installations, be brought to my elected "leaders" and command their attention !!!

           Someone owes me a sound reply !

                   sincerely,

                   David Wilmot, Abington, Massachusetts

                   01-26-07