2007 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 8 May 2007 15:52:54 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Resident oppose Willow Grove (PA) civilian airport

Residents out in force over base proposal

By Lucas K. Murray
Central Bucks Life/Ft. Washington Montgomery Newspapers (PA)
May 4, 2007

The message from most of the nearly 200 people who showed up for the April 25 Horsham Land Reuse Authority was clear: "We don't want a civilian airport at Naval Air Station Willow Grove."

They showed up en masse to hear about and to criticize a plan set forth by Gov. Ed Rendell to establish an interagency facility at the Horsham Township base that would keep the airstrip open.

But did they, and the Land Reuse Authority, know exactly what they were criticizing?

"We've got a series of press releases from the state but no facts or anything to go on. I think as we all know that the devil is in the details," LRA Chairman William Whiteside said. "So we need to worry about the details before we can even take a position."

Horsham resident Michael Blasek hypothesized Rendell's plan could mean the township could turn into an area like Island Avenue near Philadelphia International Airport - an area with large warehouses and increased truck traffic.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18303871&BRD=1306&PAG=461&dept_id=187827&rfi=6