2007 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 23 May 2007 05:49:17 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Ft. Gillem (GA) reuse plan

Fort Gillem plan to be finalized

By Daniel Silliman
Clayton News-Daily (GA)
May 22, 2007

The panel considering the redevelopment of the Army's Fort Gillem will spend the next week considering the finalized, recommended plan for the future of the base, after hearing from professional planners tonight.

"We want them to think about it and apply their own judgment," said Fred Bryant, executive director of the Forest Park/Fort Gillem Local Redevelopment Authority. "We could take a vote tonight but we don't want to rush them all. We want them to think about it. We hope, in that way, they'll make a fully informed decision."

The accepted plan for the future of the 65-year-old, 1,500-acre Army installation being vacated by the soldiers no later than September 2011, will take one of three directions.

The LRA will decide whether to dedicated the 1,200 available acres to light industrial development, mixed-use development built around a central circle of greenspace, or transform it into mostly retail outlets, with a secondary development of single- and multiple-family housing.

http://www.news-daily.com/local/local_story_142230637.html