2007 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 10 Aug 2007 14:41:56 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Williams Gateway Airport (AZ) name change

Mesa airport name deal nears
Airline says service pact hinges on change; authority yet to vote

Art Thomason
The Arizona Republic
August 10, 2007

A name change for Mesa's Williams Gateway Airport appears to be a done deal even though a vote on the controversial proposal doesn't take place for another month.

Switching to Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, which would remove Williams as a reference to the airport's historic military past, is part of an agreement between the airport and an airline that plans to start service from the airport to 13 markets.

"The agreement is predicated on the name change," Tyri Squyres, spokeswoman for Allegiant Air LLC, said Thursday. "The airport made the suggestion of the name and all we had requested is that Phoenix be in it. We're confident that the airport authority can make changes to make this successful."

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0810namechange0810.html