1994 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 16:50:08 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Cpro Conference Introductions

By way of introduction, my name is Anne Gelfand (agelfand@mit.edu).
I am a graduate student at MIT in the department of Urban Studies and
Regional Planning with a concentration in International
Environmental Policy. I am just beginning my thesis which (I hope)
will be: Implications of harmonized remediation standards on the local
and regional environment of former US military bases. Since I am in
the preliminary stages of research, my exact focus may change
somewhat. However, I am planning on researching the standards to

By way of introduction, my name is Anne Gelfand (agelfand@mit.edu).
I am a graduate student at MIT in the department of Urban Studies and
Regional Planning with a concentration in International
Environmental Policy. I am just beginning my thesis which (I hope)
will be: Implications of harmonized remediation standards on the local
and regional environment of former US military bases. Since I am in
the preliminary stages of research, my exact focus may change
somewhat. However, I am planning on researching the standards to
which former overseas bases will be cleaned, how these standards
compare to host country local law, Federal law, and international
soft law or agreements. I'll then asses the military's standard(s)
within existing frameworks for evaluating harmonized standards.
Finally I'll hypothesize how the US military's
standard(s) may impact the local and regional environment of former
bases.

Any resources or advice you or your collegues could recommend (either
literature or people) would be greatly appreciated. I am looking
for basic information, potential Case studies, and existing
critiques of environmental cleanup on overseas bases or harmonization
of standards.

Thank you,
Anne M. Gelfand