1994 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 11:07:58 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: CONFERENCE & POSTING INFORMATION

As of tomorrow the cpro.military conference will have been operational
for two weeks. I want to thank all of you for your participation and I
hope you are finding the information thus far timely, informative and
beneficial.

Career/Pro is trying out some rather innovative techniques in the electronic
information exchange game and we are learning right along with everyone
else A few things have been brought
to my attention that I would like to address. The first of which is the
length of documents being posted. Currently there is a lot of
information floating around about military base closure, cleanup, and
conversion. Not all of it is relevant to everyone. A lot of the
participants of this conference get the postings through their email
boxes -- I know at times the surge of information can be overwhelming.

I propose two alternatives:

1. If your document or article is longer than 250 words, post an
abstract or summary of it, rather than the long version. At the end of the
posting, type a message in UPPERCASE that says:

"IF YOU WOULD LIKE THE LONG VERSION OF THIS DOCUMENT, PLEASE SEND AN
EMAIL MESSAGE TO AIMEE HOUGHTON (aimeeh@igc.org)."

Make sure you send a copy of the long version to me and I will take care
of sending it out to users who email me a request. You must send the
long version to me separately or else it will go out to everyone.

2. If you do not like the idea of summarizing your information, you will
need to include some very specific information at the top of your
posting. FIRST, the length of the document, indicated by the number of
lines: **77 LINES** SECOND, a Topic indicator (for example: BASE
CLOSURE). THIRD, The actual title of the document.

Finally, for those of you who are on the mail list and are subscribers to
IGC, you can view and respond to the conference without receiving every
posting in your mailbox. Simply enter the conferencing mode and when
asked what conference you want to view, type in: cpro.military. If this
is the way you choose to go you can unsubscribe by sending a message to:
Majordomo@igc.org

The text of the message should read:

unsubscribe careerpro <your address>

That's it. I hope this message is under 250 words (but somehow I doubt
it). As always, send me your feedback.

--Aimee