1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: coho@whidbey.net
Date: 08 Feb 1995 09:31:31
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Information Request: Treated water

Posting from Bill Skubi <coho@whidbey.net>

Yes, I agree with you. I have heard similar assessments, i.e. that the
cost of treating emissions from a pump and treat facility are relatively low.
One arguement given me by the contractor is that the highest
concentration of VOCs removed will be vinyl chlorides which he says gum
up carbon filters faster than most other pollutants, and would therefore
require very costly primary treatment. Because we have no technical
assistance it is difficult to evaluate this statement.
Another reason given for not treating emissions is that they are released
near the runway end of a military jet airfield, less than ten miles away
from two highly air polluting oil refineries. Nancy Harney of the EPA and
others have argued to me that the daily emission might be less than one
jet take off.
Of course the counter argument is that any toxic emission is potentially
more, not less, harmful when it contributes to an already polluted
environment.
Bill