1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: gkripke@Essential.ORG
Date: 06 Feb 1995 15:25:52
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Clinton Budget Request Disappointing

Posting from Gawain Kripke <gkripke@Essential.ORG>

To: Interested colleagues

Posting from Gawain Kripke, Friends of the Earth

RE: Clinton Budget Request for Defense Environmental Remediation Funding.

Today, the Administration released it FY1996 budget request to Congress.
The President requests $1.6222 billion for the Defense Environmental
Restoration Account (DERA), the key environmental cleanup account. This
is significantly less than had been expected.

FY94 FY95 FY96 (request)
$1.9623 $1.7802 $1.6222

In December, news reports revealed that the DOD Environmental Security
Office had requested $2.0995 billion. The DOD comptroller recommended
cutting this amount to $1.8694 billion.

As you can see, the final figure is a cut of nearly $150 million from
last year's appropriation. The final figure is nearly $475 million
from what the cleanup program's internal request.

The cleanup budget is significantly below what we had expected. It's a
cut from last year (which already was $400 below the Administration's
request).

The ball is now in the Congress' court.

There are cuts in other DOD environmental programs, but I do not have
details. I'll post them as I get them.

Gawain Kripke Internet: gkripke@essential.org