1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: zweifel@nexus.chapman.edu
Date: 03 Mar 1995 21:47:19
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: dera funding

Posting from "Don Zweifel" <zweifel@nexus.chapman.edu>

I BELIEVE MOST EVERYONE ON THE NET IS STUNNED OVER CAPITOL HILL'S EFFORTS
TO GUT DERA.

Perhaps the most expeditious method of responding to this state of affairs
would be to clearly delineate the justification for funding clean-up
efforts at our environmentally devastated sites.

We all assumed that our congressional reps and senators, including their
staffs, were up to speed on the dangers of polluted gnd-water and soil
contamination. This premise is basically ludicrous. These people don't
have the scientific or technical bkgnds to make an informed evaluation
and prognosis regarding any clean-up site. That ladies and
gentlemen, effectively places the ball in our court.

With our high-knowledge levels and track records (read familiarity), we
actually don't have any excuse for not disseminating this critically
pertinent data.

If DERA funding is eviscerated, we could certainly blame ourselves for not
pulling-out-all-the-stops. We have a moral responsibility to see to it that
our public servants are brought up to speed on the reasons why thorough
remediation is so critical to our nation's and community's well-being.

But perhaps I'm mistaken, maybe it's best to be cynical and throw in the
towel. What do you think?

 Don Zweifel