1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Peter Strauss <pstrauss@igc.org>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 1995 21:01:34 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: RABs and Reuse

I also participate with the Moffett RAB. It has been my understanding that
we will only be talking about restoration issues, although this may be
frustrating for some RAB members who thought they would be talking about
reuse. Nevertheless, the two are obviously linked, and I think its incumbent
upon RAB members to make these linkages, whenever reasonable. One place that
is obviuos is setting cleanup levels for soil. Since there are no federal
standards, these are arrived at in two ways:the first question that must be arri
answered is will the soil act as a continuing source to groundwater con-
tamination; the second question that must be answered is the risk from the soil
itself. The second question depends on assumptions about future land-use:
that is, risk-based standards are developed assuming a residential, industrail,
or recreational scenario. I recommend that whenever possible, RAB members become
part of this discussion.

Peter pstrauss@igc.org