1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: ragusom@acq.osd.mil
Date: 10 May 1995 09:18:59
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Distribution of budget cuts.

Posting from Mary Raguso 79789 <ragusom@acq.osd.mil>

Gawain-

I apologize for the lack of information the Department has provided on the $300
million rescission. The list I believe you have was developed before the $300
million rescission became reality. Several factors have changed since then,
including the change in status from proposed into an actual rescission required
by law. In addition, an amendment that requires DoD to ensure that BRAC IV
bases are not disproportionately affected by the rescission was included in the
law.

The Department is taking several considerations into account and is carefully
evaluating which bases will be impacted. This process must be done with
extreme care and attention, which is why it is seemingly taking so long to
provide the final list to the public. The list you have could significantly
differ from the final version, which is why I warned you about disseminating
misleading information. As soon as we can release the rescission list, we
will. Until then it would be irresponsible to provide a list that will
probably change and cause undue concern.

We appreciate your support, and know that you are very concerned about the
rescission. We are too. We are also concerned about funding for the FY96
budget currently being debated in Congress which I hope you take an interest in
as well. FY94 marked the first year where the Department devoted more
resources to actually cleaning up sites rather than studying them. I sincerely
hope the Congress agrees that we are doing good work, and will continue to
provide us the resources to contine on this path.

I hope my response addresses your concerns, let me know if you need further
assistance.

Mary Raguso