1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Nick Morgan <nmorgan@igc.org>
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 01:55:15 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: LAND USE AND CLEANUP STANDARDS

Posting from "Nick Morgan" <nmorgan>

Lenny - you may want to look into the State of New Jersey "EPCRA"(?)
law. It has been on the books for years. While I do not know the
specifics, it does require a comprehensive assessment and a state
approved cleanup prior to any sales or transfers of land. That law
is weak in many respects - but has some good strengths:

WEAKNESSES:
1) Land can be transfered with only a state approved plan in place -
not necessary to conduct cleanup.
2) Cleanup is often to industrial standards.
3) Liability is transfered (as I understand the law) at the time of
land transfer.
4) State has to review and approve so many plans that is does not
implement the law effectively.

STRENGTHS:
1) Law shows that the industrial sector can cope with a law requiring
identification and cleanup of hazardous wastes, as is required of
Federal facilities, as is required under CERCLA 120H.
2) Eliminates the "imequity" of CERCLA 120h only applying to Federal
sites.
3) Law ultimately builds financial institution confidence in
mortgages as there are far fewer surprises at covered sites.

I don't know the current status of the law, or what other
state intiatives there are in this area - but it may be useful to ask someone
from NAAG, NGA, or the Western Govenors Association about their
experiences.