1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: marylia.kelley@environet.org
Date: 19 May 1995 20:07:35
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Intrinsic Remediation

You say the fuel related contaminants are slated to break down naturally,
before they migrate off site. I would ask just what time frames and
contaminants they are talking about. At Livermore Lab, the benzene and toluene
aren't expected to break down appreciably anytime soon (the next 5 decades or
so). Too, field studies of the VOCs (not fuel related--but solvents) at the
LLNL main site indicate that they may not be breaking down naturally at the
rate the site predicted (and used in its clean up models!) This is not to say
that natural degredation may not be a significant factor--just that I'd ask
alot of questions if it was presented to me as the preferred cleanup remedy!
Peace, Marylia