1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Peter Strauss <pstrauss@igc.org>
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 22:22:38 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Intrinsic Remediation

Re: intrinsic remediation
AFCEE has been pushing this for some time. The theory goes that in due time
all these chemicals break down, so why should we be pouring so much money
into unnecessary cleanup. If we are talking only about fuel or petroleum
compounds, that are not covered under CERCLA, AFCEE stands a greater chance
of succeeding with this tactic. However, in general intinsic remediation
cannot really be called a cleanup technique. Yes, it occurs and that should be
be taken into consideration when selecting a cleanup strategy. As Marylia
responded, its also very site and chemical specific. If you think they are
going to go ahead with this strategy, I would recommend that the community
insist upon a very strict monitoring to verify that it is working as expected.
This also requires that the expected breakdown rate be understood by all concerned.
On top of that, I recommend that a contingency plan be prepared which
establishes strict criteria for implementing a pre-selected alternative
strategy, if "intrinsic remediation" does not meet expectations.

peter strauss