1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 22:49:04 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Intrinsic Remediation

On natural attenuation, just a bit of technical background.
Petroleum products always contain small amounts of BETX (pronounced bee-tex),
which stands for Benzene, Ethylene, Toluene, and Xylene. I believe they are
heavier than fuel. They are thus more difficult to extract. They are
definitely more toxic. Any petroleum remediation strategy must take into
account the BETX as well as the fuel.
(Someone who knows this better should feel free to correct me.)
Lenny