1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 17:43:35 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: 20% CAP ON D.E.R.A. STUDY MONEY

CAP ON D.E.R.A. STUDIES

Defense Environment Alert (May 31, 1995) reports that the House
National Security Committee, in addition to cutting the FY1996
DERA budget by $200 million and allowing an additional $200
million to be diverted, has proposed a 20% cap on studies from the
DERA account. That is, if the current version of the Defense
Authorization Act is enacted, no more than one fifth of the DERA
account may be spent on studies that are a normal part of the
cleanup program.

The Defense Department has made progress in advancing "real
cleanup." More DERA money is now spent on cleanup than on
studies.

But the arbitrary cap is irrational. It could force the armed services
to perform cleanup on less risky/low priority sites instead of
completing studies on complex, hazardous sites. You can't very well
sink an extraction well, or even determine that's the proper remedy,
unless you've characterized the plume.

Defense testimony before Congress has stressed that just as
battlefield commanders must conduct reconnaissance before going
into battle, so must the forces that attack hazardous waste
contamination.

In my previous writing, I have agreed that there is too much
paperwork in the cleanup process, but the physical size of studies
on a bookshelf should not be confused with the need to look before
we leap.