1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 23:42:23 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: RAB funding.

TWO POINTS ABOUT RAB TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE

1) While the armed services have, in general, enthusiastically embraced the
concept of RABs, they remain unconvinced that RAB community members need/deserve
their own independent technical consultants - at least not from DOD funds.
It is important to recognize that quite naturally, the citizens affected
by military pollution are going be less willing to expend a great deal of
effort to support DERA funding - money that goes to the military and its
contractors - if they perceive Defense unwilling to provide resources to
the communities. This is not my position, but I know that's how many people feel.

2) Those citizens at major non-NPL facilities that have been waiting for
RAB technical support will now put effort into legal and political action
to place the bases on the NPL, since that's the only way to get EPA TAG
money.

Lenny