1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 10:55:56 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: USING THIS NEWSGROUP CAREFULLY

USING THE NEWSGROUP

I have been heartened the recent increased use of the cpro.military
Electronic Clearinghouse to exchange information among officials,
RAB members, and other stakeholders.

I am concerned, however, about the proliferation of private responses.
Please check your software so that you know the difference between
posting a response or reply, which goes out automatically to the entire
newsgroup, and sending an electronic mail message to the poster of
the original message. If you think your info should go out to
everyone, fine, but answers of use only to the original poster or - even
moreso - personal notes should be sent as E-mail.

In addition, because traffic is growing, please re-post copies of
original text sparingly when posting responses.

We are beginning to hear that some members of the newsgroup intend
to withdraw if they continued to be deluged by what they consider
unnecessary messages. If you are one of those people, please send E-
mail to lsiegel@igc.org or aimeeh@igc.org.

If we find that there are a significant number of dissatisfied
participants, we will consider active moderation. That is, we will clear
messages before posting them. We don't want to do so, not only
because it would take up a good deal of our time, but because it would
delay communications and could lead to charges of censorship.

So please use the network carefully. Thanks.