1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 1996 22:32:28 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: RAB ASSISTANCE LEGISLATION

FEEDBACK ON RAB POSTING
I have received some feedback on my posting, earlier today, on the
status of RAB technical assistance. The situation may be somewhat more
flexible than I suggested, for the following reasons:
1) Unless the Defense Authorization Act is signed by the President, the
Defense Department (DOD) must still comply with FY1995 Underwood-Kohl
Amendment.
2) The FY1996 Defense Appropriations Act specified $5 million for RABs
at formerly used defense sites (FUDS). This might free up funds for
RABs at active bases.
3) The language in the FY96 Authorization bill, if enacted, would allow
DOD to assign all closed and former bases to one official (or one per
service) because they have no base commanders.
4) The proposed change in the way that DOD accounts for RAB
administrative support may lead to the use of small, local contractors
instead of large, gold-plating remediation and engineering contractors,
saving substantial sums for technical support.
5) Even under the new language, DOD could devise a means of encouraging
RABs to employ jointly the same service provide to facilitate
networking or other common services.
If your RAB needs technical support, ask for it at the local level and
remind the chain of command that the regulations for enabling it are
long overdue.