1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: zweifel@nexus.chapman.edu
Date: 03 Jan 1996 04:13:58
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Addendum to serious well contamination at MCAS, El Toro, Ca.

From: Don Zweifel <zweifel@nexus.chapman.edu>

To David Keith and all interested parties:

Regarding Trichloroethylene or TCE, the MCL is actually 5 micrograms/l
or 5 ppb rather than 5 milligrams/liter or 5 ppm.

TCE is considered a priority pollutant by the USEPA and is moderately
volatile and biodegradable. Its solubility is 1100 mg/l which is
moderately high. The biochemical decay coefficient is moderate in
comparison to most other priority pollutants. The risk to human health (is
calculated as times 10 to the minus six) for water and fish
ingestion at 2.7 ppm and fish ingestion only, at 80.7 ppm. The EPA has
determined that it is a carcinogen.

Its toxicity characteristics for contaminated soil at a maximum allowable
concentration is 0.5 mg/l or 0.5 ppm (source: USEPA, Federal Register 29
March, 1990).

Solute (solution) transport or its ability to hydraulic through the
layers of permeable and semi-permeable soils in the shallow and principle
aquifers has to do with its solubility also, and is of grave concern
regarding our Orange County groundwater basin's water quality.

The problem is basically that too much time has elapsed, enabling this
contaminate to vertically percolate and horizontally migrate miles from
the original point source on the base. We now have over 325,000 acre-feet
of gndwater polluted with this carcinogen. And we're still squabbling over
who is going to pick up the lion's share of the tab because there's a
fly in the ointment, the added factor of a serious TDS contamination.

The Orange County Water District has developed a plan to build a desalter
plant to cope with the TDSs. The Dept. of the Navy (DON) doesn't want to
foot this added cost because none of their contractors have been able to
satisfactorly prove that the Navy contributed to it. They say that it was
a pre-existing condition. Who was the potentially responsible party (PRP)?
Perhaps we'll never know.

But again we come back to the factor of time, i.e., rapid remediation.
We dither over whether or not to pump n' treat exclusively, or to go
with what the Clean Water Act statutory law states regarding utilizing the
most affordable and best available technology (BAT). Everyone should realize
that pump n' treat is one of the most costly methods of remediation.
This technology in a stand alone mode without augmentation from innovative
technology, e.g., in-situ air-sparging, might violate the original intent of
the law.

An outstanding case in point is the Savannah River remediation project.
They successfully utilized air-sparging in conjunction with the "tried and
true" pump n' treat process.

Pump n'treat is not the best available technology, but certainly is the
best conventional technology (BCT), however we're not interested in
inefficient methods because time is not on our side. It will take over 20
years to partially clean up the TCE at El Toro utilizing BCT exclusively,
and in the meantime a significant portion of our principle aquifer is
undrinkable.

Perhaps there's someone out there that might have a better solution to
our problem. Ce vous plait.

Don Zweifel
S/committee chair, OU-1 Groundwater,
MCAS, El Toro. Ca. RAB