1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 23:45:43 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Netiquette is not censorship!

An Open Conference
Since its inception, we have operated "cpro.military" as an open,
"un-moderated" listserver on the Internet. It has always been our hope
that participants would observe standard newsgroup etiquette, including
the following:
1. Not using the conference for personal messages. If you think copies
of your personal correspondence are of value to the entire group, then
please preface with an explanation.
2. Not repeating different versions of the same message.
3. Not including the text to which you are responding.
4. Beginning long messages with a "This is a long posting" warning and
perhaps even an summary.
Asking people to observe these and similar "netiquette" principles is
not censorship. It is a service to the subscribers at large. Many
people who receive this and other on-line services find it
time-consuming and often costly to sift through cluttered in-boxes.
They respond by asking to be removed from the list.
In the past, we have responded to complaints about irrelevant or
individual postings by sending friendly reminders to participants. If
we continue to lose subscribers, then we will be forced to actively
moderate the conference, reviewing not the content of postings but
whether they are written for the entire readership.
I also want to apologize for getting behind on my news items. I have a
pile of brief reports to write, but I have been traveling and working
on fund-raising. I hope to get to them soon.