1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Peter Strauss <pstrauss@igc.org>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 1996 20:33:49 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: DOD ENVIRONMENTAL BUDGET - FY 97 -Reply

Hold it there MI. Perhaps in some instances environmental restoration
is overfunded, although I think we can't generalize. Specifically,
do you have evidence where "overfunding" has been wasteful? I think
everyone would be interested in hearing from you on this account. On
the other hand, it would be intersting for rus as a group to find out
if programs at sites have been underfunded. I suspect that there are
many. Most often, we hear from the military at RABs and other forums
trying to explain the slower pace of cleanup because of budget cuts.
This may not be so apparant, but it exists. Consultant contracts are
cut back, slowing the pace of RI/FS activities, or making them less
comprehensive. This is just one of the hidden ways that budget cuts
affect us.
Peter