1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 13:12:08 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Letter From RMA RAB & SSAB

The following is a letter from the SSAB Chairperson and RAB Community
Co-chair from the Rocky Mountain Arsenal in Colorado. The RMA as to
community oversite groups. The SSAB was formed seperately and before
the formation of the RAB. We (CAREER/PRO) have been asked to post this
letter--it appears in its entirety as it was orginally received.

Aimee Houghton

Raymond J. Fatz
Acting Deputy Assistant of the Army,
OASA[I,L&E]

re: Public Comment on Proposed Plan, RMA

Dear Mr. Fatz

We are forwarding to you the comments of the Proposed Plan for the
Rocky Mountain Arsenal (RMA) which were submitted by the public and
local governments to the Program Manager. While the Draft Record of
Decision has been released to the parties and the "chain of Command" at
the Army and EPA, many of the public comments have not been included
with the Draft ROD. We believe that the absence of public comments
creates an inaccurate portrayal of the public acceptance of the RMA
Proposed Plan.

We have been informed that public comments will be summarized in the
ROD. We are concerned that such summaries will mis-represent both the
substance and depth of public comment and non-acceptance. We want all
written public comments, as well as a transcript of the public meeting,
included verbatim in the RAM ROD. Even though we have voiced
objections to the deletion and/or mis-representation of public
comments, we have been informed that there is no mechanism for us to
comment on this or any other aspect of the draft ROD. For this reason,
we are sending our comments to you and asking the State of Colorado and
the Region VIII EPA to voice our concerns in their comments on the
Draft ROD.

We understand that your commitment to an open process and meaningful
public participation may lead you to recommend that the Program Manager
for the Arsenal reevaluate these positions. The cultivation of trust
and confidence of the public towards cleanup at Federal facilities is
of great importance to the involved citizens, and the assertion of
public acceptance over the objections of these very same citizens will
have a disastrous effect on the trust building process.

We have been dedicated to these goals and have spent countless hours
becoming informed about the issues over the last two years, and we
desperately need your help at this juncture. If we can be of any
service or provide any further information, please feel free to contact:

 Rick Warner Sandra Jaquith
 SSAB Chairperson RAB Community Co-chair
 894 Dexter Drive 844 Downing Street
 Broomfield, CO 80020 Denver, CO 80218