1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 17:49:38 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: CONFEREES CHOSEN

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>

CONFEREES FOR DEFENSE AUTHORIZATION CHOSEN

The following is the Conference Committe for Defense Authorization has
been set. This conference will be responsible for authorizing appropriations
for fiscal year 1997 for the Department of Defense. This committe will
be deciding the fate of Section 346 (i.e. "Dirty Transfer Amendment")--
the Senate amendment to H.R. 3230.

(As a refresher, this section would modify Section 120 (h) (3) of CERCLA
to allow the transfer, to non-federal parties, of contaminated federal
property. Since the House Defense bill does not contain similar language,
the provision is now in joint conference committee.)

I have heard that unless there is more constituency reponse to this
proposed amendment, that it will most likely go through. If you have
objections to this amendment, now is the time to raise them with the
conferees. Unfortunately, I do not yet have a timeline for when this
be out of committee. I will post the information when I receive it.

Aimee Houghton

Defense Authorization Conference Committee

Senate Conferees House Conferees

Thurmond (R-SC) Spence (R-SC)
Warner (R-VA) Stump (R-AZ)
Cohen (R-ME) Hunter (R-CA)
McCain (R-AZ) Kasich (R-OH)
Coats (R-IN) Bateman (R-VA)
Smith (R-NH) Hansen (R-UT)
Kempthorne (R-ID) Weldon (R-PA)
Hutchinson (R-TX) Hefley (R-CO)
Inhofe (R-OH) Saxton (R-NJ)
Santorum (R-PA) Cunningham (R-CA)
Frahm (R- Buyer (R-IN)
Nunn (D-GA) Torkildsen (R-MA)
Exon (D-NE) Fowler (R-FL)
Levin (D-MI) McHugh (R-NY)
Kennedy (D-MA) Talent (R-MO)
Bingaman (D-NM) Watts (R-OK)
Glenn (D-OH) Hostettler (R-IN)
Byrd (D-WV) Chambliss (R-GA)
Robb (D-VA) Hilleary (R-TN)
Lieberman (D-CT) Hastings (R-WA)
Bryan (D-NV) Dellums (D-CA)
 Montgomery (D-MS)
 Schroeder (D-CO)
 Skelton (D-MO)
 Sisisky (D-VA)
 Spratt (D-NC)
 Ortiz (D-TX)
 Pickett (D-VA)
 Evans (D-IL)
 Tanner (D-TN)
 Browder (D-AL)
 Taylor (D-MS)
 Tejeda (D-TX)
 McHale (D-PA)
 Kennedy (D-RI)
 DeLauro (D-CT))

Additional members of this committee, working specifically on
Section 346 are:

Commerce Committee

Bliley (R-VA) Dingall (D-MI)
Bilirakis (R-FL) Richardson (D-NM)
Oxley (R-OH)
Schaefer (R-CO)

Transportation and Infrastructure

Shuster (R-
Coble (R-
Barcia (D-MI)

Resources

Dan Miller (D-CA)
 (he is not specifically working on Section 346, however, he is
on the committe in some capacity and does need to hear from constituents
on this issue.)