1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: meuser@cats.ucsc.edu
Date: 01 Aug 1996 14:52:30
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Fort Ord Update: Longer version

Hello - a few days ago I posted an abbreviated version of this post.
My apologies to those who already recieved it. I hope the new
information makes the reading worthwhile.
-------------------------------------

Thursday, July 25th, was a dark day in Fort Ord RAB history.
Recently, provisions in the RAB bylaws, intended to ensure that the
RAB members are experienced, committed, and knowledgeable, were
twisted by the Army to confuse RAB members in an effort to enforce
some perceived two year term limit on RAB membership. Of the seven
members who had reached their "two year term limit" only one member
was not reinstated. Curt Gandy, the recently elected Community Co-
Chair, Ordnance Committee Chair, and community member who originally
pushed the Army to form the RAB, who worked day and night to learn all
he could about the restoration and reuse of Fort Ord and share this
understanding with others, did not make the cut. In an unprecedented
closed-door meeting the ad hoc selection committee, consisting of
representatives of the CRWQCB, EPA, Cal-EPA, plus two appointees of
the acting Community Co-Chair and the acting Co-Chair herself voted to
accept the re-application of the six others, but not Gandy. At the
July 25th RAB meeting the RAB voted to accept the decision of the ad
hoc selection committee, though a quorum of the voting members was not
attained for the vote.

At this RAB meeting two members of the RAB attempted to make the claim
that the ad hoc selection committee and its decision was not
legitimate. Before the meeting, I personally overheard the
facilitator, a supposedly unbiased individual, warning other members
that this claim would be made. Predictably, the claim got no
consideration. The acting Community Co-Chair, with the aid and
prompting of the Army's Base Environmental Coordinator, dismissed
motions, charges, and objections. After the vote, the former Base
Environmental Coordinator, Joe Cochran, followed Gandy into the
parking lot, telling Gandy that he had cost the Army a lot of time and
money and that he (Gandy) had told lies about him (Cochran). Gandy
says this is untrue - he told no lies. I must say, I have been
watching the RAB for two years and in my opinion, if any time and
money has been lost, it has occurred because the Army has stonewalled
Gandy at every opportunity - I told this to Cochran.

This proxy removal of a Community Co-Chair in the middle of his
elected term raises several issues that may, unfortunately, never be
resolved unless high level Army, EPA, and Cal-EPA representatives take
a very hard look at the Fort Ord RAB and make drastic changes. This,
of course, will only occur if the Army and those agencies who claim to
protect our environment and human health, mean what they say. Gandy
was the RAB member who demanded a facilitator be present at RAB
meetings because he had high hopes that this would help expedite Army
and agency responsiveness to community concerns and create a level
playing field in which all concerns could be addressed equally.
However, he did not get what he bargained for. Instead the RAB has
become a "spectacle of legitimization." The Fort Ord RAB is nothing
more than an Army contrivance that merely simulates public and
community participation in the cleanup process. The facilitator is,
NOT an unbiased neutral agent as expected, but an Army subcontractor
hired by IT Corporation who has been awarded the $400 million TERC
contract!). Originally the Army balked at the hiring of a
facilitator, saying it would cost too much. In fact the Army quit
having a stenographer at the RAB meetings (the most reliable way to
gather unbiased, unedited minutes) claiming that the cost was too
high. Now the Army seems to have no problem with the cost of a
facilitation team of eight people, or so, with their own sound
equipment, rules of order expert, etc. - it must be seen to be
believed. They don't facilitate, they RUN the meetings! Folks in
power need to take a very close look at this blatant abuse of power!

According to the facilitator, quorums were not attained at the two
previous RAB meetings. At both of these meetings RAB members made
motions concerning the supposedly impending "term limit" issue that
would have made the transition to new terms much easier for those
members who have reached the 2 year point as RAB members - but there
was no quorum, and no vote. A senior member of the RAB Procedures and
By-laws Committee tried to present a Resolution to accept all of those
who wanted to continue for another two years, but the acting Community
Co-Chair would not allow the resolution to be heard. This, of course,
would have meant that Gandy would have retained his community Co-
Chairmanship and the RAB would have continued to benefit from his
experience and expertise. Clearly, this was not what the Army and the
facilitator wanted or they would have disallowed this last vote as
well (the vote used to ax Gandy) because a quorum was not present.

The quorum issue is very sticky in itself. RAB bylaws state that
members can only miss two or so meetings in a row (I believe it is
two). If they miss more than that, they are removed from the RAB -
but this has not occurred. The RAB roster includes many members who
show up infrequently, if at all, yet they remain on the roster. The
effect of this is to artificially raise the number required for a
quorum. No quorum, no votes, no progress! However, when the Army
wants to move forward on an issue and the Army RAB Co-Chair (who is
also the Base Environmental Coordinator, BEC) unilaterally drops of
those who have not been in attendance, establishes a quorum, and gets
the vote.

Can the Army get away with this? Probably! Is it legal - the closed
door meeting, the vote, the roster juggling? Probably not! Will we
ever hear the reason that Gandy was not allowed to continue on in his
position as community Co-Chair while ALL other RAB members were
allowed to do so? Is the community being served? NO! I understand
that the Army is now in the midst of an internal investigation of the
RAB. I hope that this is true. I hope too that other agencies
including CRWQCB, Cal-EPA and EPA will take a hard look at their
support of a dysfunctional Fort Ord RAB and finally demand the Army
fully embrace the meaning of community participation (which is
predicated on the Army's willingness to be truly open, responsive, and
honest) in the restoration and reuse of Fort Ord. Otherwise it will
continue to be an unproductive, ineffective facade whose only purpose
is to make it APPEAR as though the community is meaningfully involved
in the restoration and reuse of Fort Ord. In the long run, this
hopelessly flawed process won't cut it.
To me this does not seem to be that difficult of a task. It means
taking a look at the wonderful documents that EPA, DoD, Army and
Keystone have produced and making them REAL. My hope, as a concerned
community member of the Monterey Bay Area, is that the Army, EPA and
Cal-EPA will work to make the RAB at Fort Ord REAL before every major
decision point has passed us by at the former Army base. There is
little time left.

Michael Meuser
Environmental Sociology, UCSC
meuser@cats.ucsc.edu