1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 10:04:58 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: FUTURE LAND USE COMMENTS

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>

The following are my draft comments on the Department of Defense's
(DoD's) draft policy on "Responsibility for Environmental Cleanup due
to Changes in Land Use after Transfer," which I summarized in a posting
on Wednesday, October 2. I am looking for feedback before I formally
submit my comments to the Cleanup office later his month.
Lenny Siegel

I believe that the Department of Defense draft policy, "Responsibility
for Environmental Cleanup due to Changes in Land Use after Transfer,"
has fundamental shortcomings that will in many cases seriously limit
the use and reduce the value of former military properties.
When a community with land use planning jurisdiction and a transferee
(which may be the same entity) accept institutional controls, in lieu
of cleanup, they are letting the military "off the hook." Should the
land use needs of the community and transferee change, I believe that
the military has the responsibility to remediate the property to a
level which is fully protective under the new land use or at least to
the condition of the property when the military first gained ownership
or control. I am willing to make an exception, however, when the terms
of transfer - such as a discount in purchase price or a conveyance of
infrastructure or buildings - compensate the transferee up front for
the putative cost of cleanup, assuming that the planning jurisdiction
approves of those terms.
This approach is both fair and practical. It is FAIR because it holds
the polluter accountable for its mistakes. It is PRACTICAL in two ways:
First, it allows the military to hold down costs by allowing natural
attenuation to take place during the period of institutional controls.
By the time the community seeks further cleanup, cleanup may have
happened on its own. Second, communities are much more likely to accept
institutional controls in lieu of full remediation when they know that
the Defense Department is prepared to complete the job if and when that
is necessary.
I am not so naive, however, to expect the Defense Department to agree
voluntarily to this position. Therefore, I offer the following specific
suggestions for modifying the draft policy.
1. Institutional controls should be accepted in lieu of cleanup only if
those controls reinforce land use decisions made by the community and
accepted by the transferee. Those decisions should be made through
normal local channels, with full public participation. That is, only
the local community, not the Defense Department, should make the
decisions to restrict future land use. In fact, the Defense Department
and its components should be prohibited from arguing for land use
restrictions simply for the purpose of saving money on cleanup, with
the exception of projects where cleanup is prohibitively expensive.
Full disclosure is not enough. There is a big difference between
cleaning up reuse and letting inadequate cleanup determine reuse,
particularly since uses compatible with residual contamination tend to
use and release hazardous substances themselves.
2. When contaminated property remains in federal ownership and is thus
subject to institutional controls based upon land use decisions beyond
the control of the local community, the Department of Defense should
commit to return to complete additional cleanup (of its own
contamination) should the property subsequently be transferred to the
local community for a use beyond the federal institutional controls.
This is clearly a concern in my community, at the former Moffett Naval
Air Station, where institutional controls are being established
consistent with NASA's continuing operation of the airfield. Should
NASA abandon the airfield, additional study and different remedies may
be necessary. We need an assurance that such activity will be funded
and that the community will not be forced to accept the current use
indefinitely or pay for cleanup that is rightly the responsibility of
the federal government. At some sites, however, the community is likely
to support institutional controls that are consistent with our future
use objectives.
3. Where institutional controls on land use have been applied because
remediation is technically impractical, prohibitively expensive, or
environmentally hazardous, the Department of Defense should be
prepared, upon request from the community or transferee, to return to
carry out additional cleanup should new technologies be developed to
overcome those obstacles. For example, on most properties contaminated
with unexploded ordnance, institutional controls make sense. However,
as new methods of investigation, clearance, and disposal are perfected,
it will be possible to remediate (or simply determine safe) vast areas
for less restricted or even unrestricted use. Under DoD's draft policy,
there is no mechanism to trigger such activity.
4. The draft policy should specifically list Indian tribes along with
state and federal regulatory agencies. I hope this is just an
oversight. Not only should tribes' interests always be acknowledged in
such documents, but their close connection to their remaining lands
requires special attention. While people whose families have arrived on
the continent within the last few hundred years usually can move away
from contamination, native people's identity and culture is tied to
both land ownership and customary subsistence rights.

I don't propose holding the military accountable for all of its
contamination simply because the Pentagon has deep pockets. Most
military bases were given to, sold cheaply to, or taken by the armed
services in good condition. In fairness, their condition should be
returned to their initial level of safety.
Community people, however, are willing to accept less than complete
remediation should institutional controls provide safe use of the
property, or portions thereof, based upon the community's own use plan.
However, there is serious reason to be concerned that some military
officials will continue to argue against cleaning up to meet the
standards based upon community-developed reuse plans, simply as a way
to save money on cleanup. This will condemn a number of communities to
uses which do not meet their economic needs - such as sham wildlife
preserves - or which perpetuate various forms of pollution - such as
heavy industry or civilian airports. In fact, the military may find
local allies that are willing to use the military's preference for
institutional controls to force undesirable land use choices on the
rest of community. That is not the same as community-based reuse planning.
Communities are more than willing to propose or support institutional
controls that save DoD time and money, but where those controls
undermine local control of long-term land use, their level of
cooperation drops dramatically.