1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Sam.Goodhope@OAG.STATE.TX.US
Date: 12 Oct 1996 00:14:03
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: DOD Cleanups: consulting/cleanup contracts

From: Sam Goodhope <Sam.Goodhope@OAG.STATE.TX.US>

 With respect to Lenny's suggestions on technology and other federal
facility cleanup developments--I think it is important to note that we do
not need to transfer all the baggage from private sector cleanups and
characterization to the federal facility arena. The problems are much
simpler in the latter context: we know who is responsible, and we know
generally (after fundamental work is completed) the extent and type of
contamination.
 The private sector "baggage" was developed in response to the
issues of who was (is) responsible and how the costs of cleanups
should be allocated among several (if not dozens) of PRPs.
In short, the "train wreck" feared by federal agencies and represented
by the growing difference between escalating costs of cleanups and
the amounts of money appropriated by Congress should be shunted into,
or transmogrified (a classic "Calvin and Hobbs" term) into the "gravy train
wreck."
 After 5 and 1/2 years of working on these issues, I have come to firmly
believe that we can indeed do more cleanup with less--so long as we
pick and choose among the cleanup and characterization procedures
and protocols that have been developed in the private sector context.
 With respect to removals, I assume that my good friend Lenny means
removal with state agency or EPA regualtory oversight.