1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 10:49:14 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: EPA ON PERFORMANCE

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>

I received the following comments about Peformance-Based cleanup from
some people at EPA. The cover note said, "Please excuse the EPA Speak."

Lenny
Comment 1:
I believe that if we want to do them, performance based systems are doable
under the present rules. For example, agreements could reflect investigation
complete and construction complete, instead of RIFS report completion or
Shakeout Report. RODs can contain contingencies to allow for changes in
technology. Finally, most of our ARCs contracts are cost plus award
fee. So don't let the buzzwords confuse matters. Take the concepts
you like and we can make them work!
Comment 2:
I sort of disagree with a few of Lenny's premises, although my position may
reflect my being still a bit new to the federal facilities side of things.
1) I believe our agreements already include a balance of both document
tracking and performance basis. Very few of us are in pursuit of a "perfect"
RI or FS, but rather, look for a "good enough" document as part of the means
for getting to the clean up. Of course, there has to be some balance,
as the reports provide the analysis to justify why we are doing what we are
doing in the way we are doing it. Certainly our national tracking focus has
moved much more toward cleanup performance and completion.
2) While I think there is some leeway in going to performance-based
RODs, I would really proceed with caution on this. I would argue that the
issue here is largely about our attitude about changing RODs. If we
have clear and strong justification for changing a ROD, we should be able to do so
in about three months without much problem (faster for just an ESD).
If it takes longer than this, I would suggest it is because there is something
about the change that some interested party considers a bona fide
issue, in which case the performance-based ROD clearly would have been
even LESS palatable. (If we have assurance that all stakeholders at a site have bought into the
performance-based approach, I would be more comfortable, but I think there's
still a diversity of positions on this....) There is a matter of
degree here, and better use of contingency RODs with well-defined
triggers may present some opportunity for compromise.