1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Marylia Kelley <marylia@igc.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 17:27:49 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: DEUTCH for SECRETARY--NOT!

From: marylia@igc.org (Marylia Kelley)

Hi Careerpro users. I was part of a coalition to ensure that John Deutch
was not named Secretary of Energy when the Clinton Administration first
came onto the scene. Now, with O'Leary leaving DOE and Perry leaving DOD,
John Deutch is once again the firm rumor to get one or the other of those
posts. He is currently head of the CIA, and he is poison, in my humble
opinion, on two important questions: One, he is a nukes forever guy; and,
two, he is no fan of public participation in decision-making. In fact he
is not even in favor of regulators participating in decisions. Here is an
interesting quote wherein he thinks DOE should even back off oversight of
its Livermore lab--and just let the weaponeers do whatever they want! I
just dug up two news articles from January 1993 when Deutch came to
Livermore Lab to tout the nuclear programs here. In addition to nukes,
nukes, nukes (and their continued underground testing) forever, Deutch
decried--and I quote from the Valley Times-- (begin quote) "what he called
an overwhelming level of meddling in lab affairs from the agencies with
authority over the lab-the Department of Energy and the University of
California which manages the lab for the Energy Department. 'The amount of
micromanagement, in all aspects, has reached staggering proportions and is
a matter of concern for efficiency of operating,' Deutch said." (end quote)

THUS, HE IS ADVOCATING LACK OF OVERSIGHT ON THE PART OF
ONE OF THE AGENCIES HE IS BEING CONSIDERED TO HEAD UP. AND, GOD KNOWS,
LIVERMORE LAB (AND THE REST OF THE DOE COMPLEX) NEEDS MORE REAL OVERSIGHT,
NOT LAISSE FAIRE. FOR EXAMPLE, LIVERMORE LAB WAS JUST CITED (AND ITS
MANAGER-- UC--FINED $3 MILLION) FOR TAKING MONIES FROM NON-DOE PROGRAMS
THAT HAD FUNDING AND APPLYING THOSE MONIES TO DOE DEFENSE PROGRAMS THAT HAD
RUN OUT OF FUNDING (THIS IS ONE OF A NUMBER OF RECENT SCANDALS AT LLNL).
Hope you all can use this information in phone calls and letters to your
Congressperson and to our President. Our group is advocating that Deutch is
a POOR CHOICE for either the DOE or DOD slots. Hope you can/will take a
moment to send out this message. Peace, marylia

Marylia Kelley
Tri-Valley CAREs
5720 East Ave. #116
Livermore, CA