1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Marylia Kelley <marylia@igc.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 17:27:57 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Prevent Deutch Appointment

From: marylia@igc.org (Marylia Kelley)

Hi people who care! I have pasted below a letter from Tri-Valley CAREs
regarding the inadvisability of appointing John Deutch as either Secretary
of Energy or Defense. Please read it and use it as a starting place for a
letter from your organization. Our letter references some news clips I
have, but the points do not depend on those clips. Time is of the essence,
and don't forget to cc your senators and congresspersons. Peace, Marylia

President Bill Clinton
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC
By fax: (202) 456-2461 (3 pages total)

11/9/96

Dear Mr. President:

Our organization desires to convey its heartfelt congratulations on your
re-election to the presidency, and we wish you all the best over the coming
term.

Our optimism for the next four years is severely clouded, however, by press
accounts that suggest John Deutch may be named as the next Secretary of
Energy or Defense.

Tri-Valley CAREs represents 1,500 families who live around the Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory in California, and we advocate new, civilian
science missions for the Livermore Lab along with a necessary focus on
cleaning up the environmental legacy of the Cold War. We want to help you
build that bridge to the 21st Century, and we know that it must be a
"green" and sustainable one. John Deutch as Secretary of either Energy or
Defense will be antithetical to building that bridge. As the director of
one of our colleague organizations in New Mexico so aptly put it: "John
Deutch would probably blow up the bridge to the 21st Century."

John Deutch publicly and privately opposes the Comprehensive Test Ban
Treaty. He has proven to be actively disdainful of citizen participation.
And, as exemplified by the speech he gave at Livermore Lab in 1993, John
Deutch would deliberately and by design degrade the oversight the Energy
Department exercises over the weapons labs, such as Lawrence Livermore. We
do not believe it is appropriate for a person who is openly contemptuous of
an agency's oversight role to be named as the head of that agency.

We are providing two news articles with this fax covering John Deutch's
speech at Livermore Lab. Please consider them carefully. His rejection of
the test ban, his opposition to the Lab conducting civilian industrial
research, his advocacy of the continued dominance of nuclear weapons work,
and his low regard for regulatory agency oversight are all detailed. We are
certain that there exist candidates better suited to take us into the 21st
Century.

Thank you for your attention. If we can provide any additional information
or suggestions, please don't hesitate to have your staff call on us.

Again, congratulations--to you and to your family.

Sincerely,

Marylia Kelley,
President, Tri-Valley CAREs

Marylia Kelley