1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Ross Vincent <ross.vincent@sierraclub.org>
Date: 12 Feb 1997 10:49:38
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: CHEM WEAPONS: AN OPPORTUNITY FOR DISPOSAL

 Chemical Weapons Disposal: A Window of Opportunity for Pueblo

 Comments by Ross Vincent
 Chair, Environmental Quality Strategy Team
 to the
 Rotary Club of Pueblo
 Pueblo, CO
 February 3, 1997

 Good afternoon! I'm from the Sierra Club and I'm here to help.

Actually, I'm here to ask for help. We are moving inexorably closer to
the day when final decisions will be made about how the chemical weapons
at the Pueblo Chemical Depot are to be handled. Those decisions will
have profound implications for the economic and environmental future of
much of Southern Colorado. I think it's high time that we in this com-
munity got off of our collective duff and took charge of this situation.
If we fail to do so, we will deserve no better than we get.

Fortunately, we have an opportunity over the next few months to exert
extraordinary influence over the resolution of this apparently vexing
set of problems. If we take advantage of the opportunity and do the job
well, the substantial benefits we reap here in Pueblo could be repro-
duced elsewhere and might well have highly positive global repe cus-
sions.

About 10% of the Nation's stockpile of "unitary" chemical weapons is
stored at the Depot here. [Unitary chemical weapons, in case that isn't
a familiar term, are the old WWI-style nerve and blister agent weapons.]
The Army has been trying to figure out how to get rid of these things
for at least a decade and a half, with limited success, at best.

The baseline program, as the Army's favored solution is called, is more
than a decade behind schedule and more than 600% over initial cost pro-
jections. Public opposition is substantial and growing. Frustration in
the Congress with delays, escalating costs, and performance problems is
high. And the impact of public opposition is just beginning. It's
likely to get worse if it isn't addressed.

Fortunately, this cloud has a silver lining. There are ways to turn
these problems into opportunities. And we in Pueblo are ideally posi-
tioned to take advantage of those opportunities. We can help the Army
and the Nation to solve the chemical weapons disposal problem, using
available methods that opponents of the current program will support,
and we can do some good for ourselves and for others in the process.
I'm here to enlist your support in helping to make that happen.

The continuing saga of the Army's efforts to dispose of chemical weapons
is almost soap opera material. It's sad; it's dramatic; and it seems to
go on forever.

In the late '70s, our government announced unilaterally that we would
discontinue manufacturing unitary chemical weapons. In the early '80s,
the Congress authorized the Army to begin manufacturing more modern,
"binary" chemical weapons -- munitions where two or more chemicals, less
toxic and easier to handle than nerve and blister agents, are kept sepa-
rate in the projectiles until after they are fired. Then they combine
to form the highly toxic chemical agent that does the damage on the bat-
tlefield. At the same time, the Congress directed the Army to get rid
of the unitary stockpile.

By the mid-eighties, the Army had decided to destroy the existing wea-
pons at the sites where they are stored, rather than at centralized dis-
posal facilities (a good decision in my judgement). There are nine of
these so-called "stockpile" sites, one in the Pacific and eight in the
continental US. One of them is here.

The Army also settled on incineration as the method-of-choice for elimi-
nating the stockpile. Incineration was controversial then; it is a
cause celebre today. Once the method had been chosen, however, the Ar-
my's perception of its mission seemed to change. No longer was the ob-
jective destroying chemical weapons. The mission had become building
incinerators. Until very recently, the Army has remained relentlessly
focused on that redefined mission, in spite of the fact that it's now
obvious that a number of better, safer options are available.

Fortunately for us all, cooler heads with greater vision have recognized
the political, economic and environmental benefits that some of these
better, safer options can provide. Thanks to the leadership of a number
of far-sighted people (including our own representatives in
both Houses of the Congress), the Army is now at a crucial fork in the
road to ultimate destruction of chemical weapons.

One fork leads us down the same, old, well-worn path, toward the con-
flict and delay that almost invariably attends attempts to deploy obso-
lete and controversial technologies. The other leads toward a range of
options, around which I believe we can build a viable consensus about
real, constructive solutions to this problem. By making the right
choices now, we can substitute cooperation for conflict, we can send
the message anew to the rest of the world that Puebloans are innovators
and problem-solvers, we can hasten the day when the weapons east of town
are gone and the Depot is truly available for productive re-use, and we
can set a positive example that will facilitate the safe and effective
destruction of chemical weapons world-wide.

To pull this off, we will have to come together as a community. We'll
have to focus on approaches that actually have a chance of working, and
we'll have to persuade the Pentagon (and perhaps some of our neighbors)
that the Pueblo Chemical Depot is the best place to demonstrate how well
these better, safer methods can work. This community has risen to simi-
lar challenges before. We can do it again.

Thanks to the directives the Army has received from the Congress over
the past several years, the Army's mission is evolving. We already know
that at least four non-incineration technologies can effectively convert
mustard agent (and other chemical weapons agents) to considerably less
hazardous materials, not unlike those commonly used and produced in in-
dustry in many parts of the country every day.

About a year and a half ago, based on these congressional directives,
the Army solicited proposals from private-sector technology developers
who believed they could destroy chemical weapons AGENT safely and effec-
tively. I emphasize "chemical weapons AGENT" because, unfortunately,
the Army chose to limit the testing to stored agent. Agent in munitions
-- such as we have here -- was excluded.

The Army received more than 20 proposals and selected three for super-
vised tests to determine whether the technologies could actually do what
their proponents claimed.

In addition, the Army's own researchers had been working on chemical
neutralization processes for treating "non-stockpile" chemical weapons.
These are the weapons that are NOT stored neatly at controlled unitary
stockpile sites like the Depot -- the ones that are lost or buried,
or that might be imported from other countries, or otherwise dealt with
outside of the controlled circumstances associated with the official
"stockpile". Same chemicals, different circumstances. The newer binary
weapons are also considered to be "non-stockpile", at least for some
purposes. If and when the international Chemical Weapons Convention is
ratified by the Senate and becomes effective, all of these "non-stock-
pile" weapons will have to be destroyed as well.

Last April, in an effort to help us here in Pueblo get a better handle
on what the alternative technologies had to offer, we invited the devel-
opers of all four of the methods under review by the Army to come to
Pueblo for a day and a half of discussions about how their echnologies
work. Some of you may have had a chance to sit in on some of those ses-
sions. It was apparent to me then, and I think to many others, that
these methods ought to work on chemical weapons agents and, if they did,
they would constitute a considerable improvement over the Army's pro-
posed baseline systems.

It is important to recognize that none of these technologies is really
new. They have all been used to process similar chemicals in other ap-
plications. But until last year, they had never been tried on actual
chemical weapons agent. It's illegal for civilians to manufacture or
possess these materials. The Army controls the supply and had previous-
ly been unwilling to make samples available to private sector operators
for testing.

Not surprisingly, all of the technologies passed the Army's tests with
flying colors and the Army has now selected alternatives based on its
own chemical neutralization methods for demonstration at two of the nine
stockpile sites -- the sites in MD & IN, the two that have no
munitions, only agent in bulk storage.

The Army's neutralization technique is pretty simple. It breaks down
mustard agent in warm water. Some of the nerve agents require more ag-
gressive aqueous solutions and probably more significant post-neutrali-
zation treatment, but the technique works without significant air emis-
sions, the source of much of the controversy surrounding incineration,
and without the risks that are inevitably associated with high-tempera-
ture combustion.

The down-sides for this approach appear to be its significant water re-
quirements - not a plus in this semi-arid area -- and the fact that it
produces significant volumes of residual wastes that then have to be
further treated before release. I've been invited by the Pentagon to
observe a demonstration of this method later this month and I hope to be
able to do so.

One of the private-sector methods is based on steel-making technology,
not unfamiliar to Puebloans. It works by introducing waste products
into a molten metal bath. At the temperatures of molten metal, the
metals melt and the waste molecules completely disassociate. Conditions
in the bath can be controlled so the by-products that emerge from the
top are potentially useful, low-molecular weight gases and other usable
materials. Under the right circumstances, the developers maintain that
they can destroy chemical weapons and other wastes with no unusable by-
products at all. I've had an opportunity to visit two sites where this
technology is in use -- one an R&D site, the other an industrial scale
facility -- and I am anxious to learn more about how this method might
be applied to chemical weapons here in Pueblo.

I have not seen the other two tested alternatives in actual operation
but they, too, appear to offer substantial advantages over the Army's
baseline systems. I'm also anxious to know more about the approaches
that these companies would recommend for the specific stockpile configu-
ration at the Depot.

One is an electrochemical process, developed by the British Atomic Ener-
gy Agency, using off-the-shelf equipment and materials virtually identi-
cal to those used by the chlor-alkali industry around the world for dec-
ades. The agent is dissolved in an acid solution and passed
between the plates (or electrodes) of a series of electrochemical cells.
A current is passed through the solution and the agent molecules are
broken down into much simpler and less toxic materials.

The fourth option is a gas-phase reduction process in which the agent is
reacted with hydrogen gas at elevated temperature to break down the
agent molecules.

We now know with certainty these methods work for treating chemical wea-
pons agents. Unfortunately, because of the way the Army designed the
previous testing program, they have yet to be tried on assembled chemi-
cal munitions. That is what the new program mandated by the Congress
last year is intended to do, with these and perhaps other technologies
as well.

The newly appointed Program Manager for this effort visited Pueblo a
couple of weeks ago. He seems to be starting slowly, but headed in the
right direction. He wants our help in deciding which technologies to
test, and how and where to test them.

That's real progress. The old Army would have told us what was going to
happen, whether we liked it or not. The new Army is asking for our help
and guidance. It's imperative, I believe, that we take that request
seriously, that we look carefully at the options and give the new Army
good advice.

What do we gain by focusing on alternative technologies? Nothing less
than a solution to the problem, I believe, and potentially a great deal
more.

FIRST, we gain the opportunity to convert conflict into cooperation.
The current program is plagued by serious controversy, persistent opera-
tional difficulties, and substantial cost overruns. It is a program go-
ing nowhere, based on a technology without a future. Alternative tech-
nologies offer a basis for cooperation that can turn this program around
and earn it the support of its harshest current critics. Together
works. The new Army is offering us an opportunity to try it. We must
seize that opportunity before it slips away.

SECOND, we gain an opportunity to jump-start the chemical weapons de-
struction process here in Pueblo by offering the Depot as a site for one
or more of the pilot demonstrations that the Pentagon will carry out in
the foreseeable future. A pilot plant at the Depot will begin
the process of destroying weapons here long before any other approach
could hope to start -- and, if it's designed well and works well, the
pilot plant will be easily expanded into a full-scale operation far
faster than we could deploy any full-scale operation here after it is
tested somewhere else.

THIRD, we can shorten the time it takes to obtain required operating
permits (typically 2-5 years for incinerators) by focusing on simpler,
safer technologies that release fewer toxic substances from fewer re-
lease points into fewer media, and by increasing the confidence level of
the regulators conducting the permit reviews by presenting a united and
supportive constituency for deployment of technologies we agree on.
Permits should come faster and easier with less complex, less controver-
sial treatment systems.

FOURTH, we can probably help to reduce the cost to taxpayers of destroy-
ing chemical weapons, here and elsewhere. We won't know for sure how
much these alternatives will cost until the pilot tests are well under
way, but they should be considerably less expensive than the
baseline process, especially if the alternatives designers can simplify
the process (as some of them should be able to do).

Of course, the Army is still in a position to make these methods cost as
much (and take as long to deploy) as they wish, but there are signs that
many in the Army's leadership, and even more at the Pentagon and on Cap-
itol Hill, want to see this problem solved, as quickly and safely
and harmoniously as possible. Frankly, they tell us, they're growing
tired of dealing with it. So are many of us.

In addition, by working together, we can save considerable amounts of
money from other taxpayer-funded accounts if we can accelerate and sim-
plify the regulatory review process and eliminate the substantial costs
associated with legal challenges and other forms of public
opposition.

FIFTH, we can convert a program that is currently pure expenditure, even
if it works, into an investment of taxpayers' dollars in technologies
with a future -- future applications in government and in the private
sector, in this country and elsewhere -- investments with
reasonable prospects for return, maybe even for profits.

No one else wants the baseline technology. The Russians have made it
clear that they will not incinerate their chemical weapons and the only
way other countries are likely to buy into the baseline approach is if
we give it away.

The U.S. government is the Nation's largest polluter by far and one of
the world's largest markets for environmental technology. We should be
investing our taxpayers' technology dollars in new and better ways of
cleaning up the messes we have made, rather than simply spending those
dollars on the outdated, expensive and relatively ineffective technolo-
gies currently in widespread use.

 SIXTH, if we succeed in demonstrating new and better waste treatment
technologies here (as I am confident we can) we will play a significant
and highly visible role in introducing viable, more effective waste
treatment technologies to a broader international market badly in need
of them not only for chemical weapons disposal, but for other waste
management applications as well. We will help to simplify and acceler-
ate the process of destroying chemical weapons worldwide. We will help
to re-establish this Nation's leadership role in developing and deploy-
ing better environmental technologies. We will provide support and en-
couragement for those in the military, in the Department of Energy, and
elsewhere who believe, as I do very strongly, that affected communities
are indispensable partners in the selection and deployment of new indus-
trial technologies. We will provide hope for technology entrepreneurs
and venture capitalists who are beginning to despair of ever breaking
through the government procurement maze, so that they can make their
better products available in the huge government market for environmen-
tal technologies. We could help to improve our country's balance of
payments, and we would help to reduce the impacts of future waste man-
agement activities on public health and the environment.

And last, but far from least, we will send a message far and wide that
Pueblo is a community that recognizes its problems and comes together to
solve them -- that we are doers and innovators with the kind of global
vision and commitment to the future that makes this an attractive place
for people to live and work.

Seems to me that's worth the effort. It's a tall agenda, but it's well
within our reach. We can do it if we work together, in cooperation with
the DOD's new Assembled Chemical Weapon Assessment Program, and with our
counterparts in other stockpile communities, who have a stake in this
process as well.

That's where I would like to see us take this effort in the weeks and
months to come. I hope you agree. We'll need your help to make it
work.

I appreciate the opportunity to share these thoughts with you. I hope
we'll be working together as we move forward with this important effort.

===============
ROSS VINCENT is Chair of the Sierra Club's Environmental Quality Strate-
gy Team, the volunteer group responsible for coordinating pollution-re-
lated issues work for the Club at the national level. The Sierra Club
is one of the nation's oldest and largest environmental organizations,
with more than 13,000 members in Colorado and more than 600,000 nation-
wide.

He also chairs the Environment Section of the American Public Health As-
sociation, the world's oldest and largest association of public health
professionals, and serves on the Colorado Chemical emilitarization Citi-
zens' Advisory Commission, authorized by the Congress and appointed by
the Governor to advise the Army and the state on chemical weapons dispo-
sal issues.

Ross Vincent ross.vincent@sierraclub.org
 Chair, Environmental Quality Strategy Team
 Sierra Club
 P.O. Box 4375 Pueblo, CO 81003-0375
 719-561-3117 719-561-1149 (daytime fax)