1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Richard Hugus" <rhugus@cape.com> (Richard Hugus)
Date: 15 Feb 1997 13:56:30
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: MMR SMOKING GUNS

Lenny Siegel,

Yes, I would like to join yoiur newsgroup. My use of the Internet is
limited to e-mail, but if you can send listings that way I would like to
participate.

Please post the following to your newsgroup:

Cape cod residents are in the middle of a heated conflict about whether the
Army should continue firing artillery, mortar, and small arms at Cape Cod's
Massachusetts Military Reservation, already seriously polluted by past Army
and Air force activity. EPA Region 1 is backing up community protest about
further use of the artillery "impact area", saying that the range rule
debate in Washington does not prevent it from taking measures to protect
public health.EPA and activists are calling for a cease fire until a study
of the impact area is completed. Traces of RDX and TNT have been found in
groundwater in preliminary sampling. Cape Cod gets its drinking water from
a sole-source aquifer which the MMR is at the very top of. The MMR is among
the worst of the country's Superfund sites.

Richard Hugus
Otis Conversion Project