1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 18:41:46 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Federal Facilities Cleanup Workshop

NORTHEAST FEDERAL FACILITIES CLEANUP WORKSHOP

>To: Individuals active and interested in northeast federal facility
>cleanup issues.
>From: CAEER/PRO and ISIS (The Institute for Science & Interdisciplinary
>Studies)
>Date: July 18, 19, and 20, 1997
>Locale: Amherst College, Amherst, Massachusetts
>PREREGISTRATION WILL BE REQUIRED (please contact ISIS
>(isis@hampshire.edu) for more information).

CAREER/PRO and ISIS invite you to join state and federal government
representatives; citizens and RAB members who live near federal
facilities; installations representatives; and regulators to look at
cooperative approaches to ensuring more effective and efficient
cleanups. Many military and agency representatives will be those
responsible for working with local communities in cleanup efforts and
communicating with advisory boards. A significant goal of the workshop
is to foster common understanding and improved communication between
these individuals and members of the community.

The Workshop will consist of plenary sessions focused on matters of
general interest and smallerbreakout grops focused on more specific
issues. ISIS and CAREER/PRO are currently in the process of
developing an agenda if you have suggestions as to particular subjects
taht you feel should be covered, please email them to aimeeh@igc.org or
isis@hampshire.edu. Currently, topics to be covered may include:

 Introductory Level Training
 Scope of Nationwide Federal Cleanup
 Guidance and Rules on Citizen Involvement
 How to Effectively Influence the Cleanup Process
 Regulatory Framework
 Basic Technical Aspects of Cleanup
 Role of Science & Technical Expertise
 Stakeholder Involvement
 Health and Environmental Impact
 Funding and Priority Setting
 Communication, Networking, Outreach, & Capacity Building

Travel Scholarships for RAB member participation will be awarded and we
will have more information forthcoming.

ISIS is a is a nonprofit organization experienced in technical
asistance and community involvement issues, and is based in Amherst,
Massachusetts. CAREER/PRO is a program of the San Francisco Urban
Institute at San Francisco State Univerisyt and is experienced in
advisory board and community involvement issues , as well and
subsequent national policy anbd legislative issues as they pertain to
federal facility cleanup.

We will make more detailed information available as soon as possible.
Please contact ISIS if you have any questions:

 Jeff Green
 Project Coordinator
 ISIS/Prescott D-1
 893 West Street