1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 21:09:23 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: BRONWER ON H.R. 1778

The following letter was sent to Congressman Floyd Spence (R-SC)
regardin EPA's position on HR 1778.

June 11, 1997

The Honorable Floyd Spence
Chairman
Committee on National Security
U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Mr. Chairman:

 I would like to take this opportunity to comment on the
environmental provisions of the recently introduced Defense Reform Act
of 1997 (HR 1778). EPA's comments are limited to Title III of the bill
which amends Superfund, the Solid Waste Diaposal Act and the Clean Air Act.

 The Administration strongly opposes the language in HR 1778
amending Superfund. This legislation is also inconsistent with the
Administration's legislative principles on Superfund. In addition,
this legislation inappropriately amends provisions on corrective action
under the Solid Waste Disposal Act.

 Finally, we strongly oppose the proposed amendments to the
Clean Air Act contained in Section 314. These amendments would
el
iminate EPA and state flexibility to accommodate and balance the
needs of the armed forces and the requirements and goals of the Clean
Air Act.

 The Office of Management and Budget advises that, from the
standpoint of the Administration's program, there is no objection to
the presentation of this report for the consideration of the Committee.

I appreciate this opportunity to comment and look forward to working
with you and other Members to balance the needs of the armed forces and
environmental protection.

 Sincerely,

 Carol M. Browner