1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 21:35:16 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: DOE on HR 1778

The following letter from is Al Alms, DOE Assistant Secretary for
Enviornmental Management, to Floyd Spence (R-SC) outlines DOE's
position on HR 1778. Please bear in mind that this letter was sent
before the actual committee vote had been taken.

Aimee Houghton

The Honorable Floyd Spence
Chairman
Committee on National Security
U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Chairman Spence:

Title III of H.R. 1778, the Defense Reform Act, provides for a number
of environmental reforms, including general reforms of Superfund. It
is my understanding that the House National Security Committee has held
no hearings on these reforms but has scheduled a markup of this bill
for June 11 together with a markup of the Defense Authorization Bill
for Fiscal Years 1988 and 1999.

On May 7, 1997, the Administration forwarded to the Congress the
Clinton Administration's legislative reform principles for Superfund.
These principles set forth the Administration's vision of how to best
address such issues as remedy selection; community health and community
involvement; liability and enforcement; state and Tribal roles in
cleanup; and other important Superfund issues that need to be
addressed. The Department supports Superfund reforms that are narrowly
targeted to address critical issues in need of a legislative solution in
keeping with the Administration's principles. It is critical that any
such reforms increase the pace of the cleanup of the Department's
facilities and not disrupt or delay our ongoing cleanups.

The House and Senate Committees of jurisdication have begun a process
with stakeholders and the Administration with a goal of achieving
broad-based consensus on Superfund reauthorization. The inclusion of
the environmental provisions in H.R. 1778 is premature and inconsistent
with this process of developing broad-based consensus. Further,
certain of the environmental provisions of H.R. 1778 such as those for
State and Tribal issues and amendments specifically for federal
facilities are directly in conflict with the Administration's
principles for reform of Superfund. I am also concerned that the
rationale for, and the full implications of, other of the environmental
provisions of H.R. 1778, such as those related to our compliance
agreements and criminal liability, are not fully understood.

In light of the conflicts with the Administration's Superfund reform
principles and inconsistency with a consensus-based approach to a
Superfund reform, the Department strongly recommends that the
environmental provisions of H.R. 1778 be stricken from the bill.
Alternatively, the Department urges that Committee defer markup of the
bill until hearings have been held on these environmental provisions.

 Sincerely,

 Alvin L. Alms
 Assistant Secretary for
 Environmental Management