1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Dottie Marron <dmarron@cwsl.edu" <djm@cwsl.edu>
Date: 01 Jul 1997 07:36:33
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Such Nonsense!

Flaming on CareerPro. Wow, that's a first. I agree with Don and to a
certain extent, Edward. The clean-up of the environment is vital and
should continue unless the clean-up action significantly impacts
defense preparedness.

At North Island we have a restoration site that is located adjacent to
the weapons storage area of the base. Part of the the site is in
the blast zone should there be an accident in the weapons area. The
people doing the site determination studies must receive special
permission to enter the contaminated area to do their analysis. This
special permission is not because the weapons officers are being
militaristic jerks, but for the clean-up workers own safety.

Let's be realistic. Whether we like it or not the armed forces have a
responsibility to
keep themselves in a state of war readiness. Sometimes that
responsibility is going to run up against environmental cleanup and
the cleanup is going to be set aside temporarily.

I think we need to
strive for a balance between our military needs and our environmental
needs. In most cases, those needs can be met simultaneously. If not,
we should try to find ways to work with the military to continue
cleanup on a slower or reduced pace until the military crisis is over.

Dottie
(Flame away, I can take it).

 ,-, | Dottie Marron djm@sol.cwsl.edu | ========
 ___| | | CALIFORNIA WESTERN SCHOOL OF LAW | -----