1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Shasta2hi@aol.com
Date: 07 Jul 1997 18:27:14
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Such Nonsense!

I have not seen Don Zwiefel's original text, but feel that it is past time to
consider DoD open/closed base environmental remediation costs in the federal
defense budget. What are the actual numbers? Do we have actual projected
annual (two year, ten year) dollar figures on environmental remediation at
DoD bases? Are the numbers broken down so that they can be realistically
negotiated on an annual to ten year projection basis? Do the numbers contain
closed (O&M), closing, and to be closed projections for environmental
cleanup? Is there a way to carefully consider what the costs are and what
the costs of defending our nation is? Can the projected cost plan for
defending our nation be compared to the projected plan for cleanup?

I think when we say there needs to be a line drawn between defending our
nation and cleanup, then we need to open our eyes to what the line is and
carefully budget what our needs really are. What do the costs entail for
defending our nation --- against who? I agree that our nation needs
protecting, but to what dollar figure, with how much artillery, and to
extent? How much environmental risk are we willing to be satisfied with here
in the U.S. and affected territories? What cleanup are we satisfied with
cutting -- cleanup in our own backyards or someone else's? What are we
willing to negotiate?

There are a lot of questions that arise from this discussion. I don't have
too many answers. Maybe there is someone who does.

Sandra Lunceford