1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Kaltofen@AOL.COM
Date: 13 Jul 1997 11:29:04
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Sole US-Philippine responsibility for contamination

Actually it hardly sounds like Don wanted to declare war on Japan. That was
a cheap shot which would probably bother people who have personally
experienced war with Japan. (On either side)

I think he was thinking about an issue we call "Joint and Severable"
liability. At any US Superfund site all parties who are PRPs have to pony
up. This should be just as workable when there are international
considerations, such as the loss of UXO by multiple countries.

Japan sounds like what we would call a PRP. They should be at the table to
accept their fair share of cost and responsibility. Ours is a small planet
these days. No one country can solve global problems without cooperating
with all of the other ones. UXO seems as important a job for truly
international efforts as is the regulation of ABC warfare agents and mines.