1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 16:13:27 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: DoD Future Land Use

James Connell's question about the applicability of the Defense
Department's [DOD's] Future Land Use policy to active bases is a good
one, and the answer is extremely complex. Here is my first attempt at a
response, but I invite military and regulatory agencies to clarify how
they think the policy applies.

1. The distinction is not between BRAC [Base Realignment and Closure]
and DERP [Defense Environmental Restoration Program] sites. The are a
number of recent base closures that have occurred independent of the
BRAC process (we have several in California). They are being addressed
under DERP, but the policy clearly covers them.

2. A RAB is formed if the community petitions for one, if local
government requests it, or the military decides to do it anyhow. In
practice, the Navy and Air Force have created RABs wherever they could
drum up interest, but the Army hasn't been as aggressive at non-BRAC
installations.

3. The military and regulatory agencies are trying to develop a federal
counterpart to a deed restriction, since there is no deed for federal
property. How can the armed services be held to the terms of an
institutional control on their own property? Right now there is no
enforceable vehicle.

4. Other than munitions ranges - which will probably be handled
differently - and landfills, it's not clear how much acreage will
suffer a land use-based remedy. In a majority of cases, I think that
groundwater contamination, not future use, drives the soil remediation
strategy.

5. There have not been many sites (individual areas within larger
installations) cleaned up to restricted-use standards prior to the
initiation of the transfer process, so we don't really know what DOD's
practice or the regulatory response will be.

6. As I understand current policy, DOD would review property proposed
for transfer. If any parcel has not been cleaned to standards required
for unrestricted use, it would seek to get the prospective owner to
agree to the institutional controls that restrict that use. The new
owner could agree to the restrictions, the owner could refuse and DOD
could refuse to make the transfer, or the owner could pay for
additional remediation. DOD will not conduct additional cleanup simply
to enable new uses.

7. However, where DOD's prospective departure would cause the remedy to
fail, then DOD is obligated, under its policy, to carry out additional
cleanup. That is, if the removal of security patrols allows children to
wander into areas left with contamination, then DOD may be obligated to
remove that contamination.

8. EPA and state regulators have the statutory authority and obligation
to review transfers. They don't necessarily agree with DOD's policy or
its implementation.

9. At a certain point, the process becomes political, with the local
community/government demanding property for new uses and DOD facing the
long-term costs of holding on to closed bases. I assume there will be
situations where DOD voluntarily does more cleanup, but the "FLU"
policy doesn't seem to authorize that. Before the FLU policy was
written, some military cleanup officials suggested that they would
review their remedies at transfer, but I don't see that in the policy

10. The situation is different where DOD transfers property to another
federal agency, since the law does not compel cleanup before such transfers.

11. Communities (RABs) have every incentive to insist upon cleanup to
unrestricted levels at active bases because they might never be given
another shot at remedy selection.

Lenny