1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 06:37:17 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: CAMP EDWARDS: CONTAMINATION FOUND

CAMP EDWARDS: EXPLOSIVE CONTAMINATION CONFIRMED

 Initial results from a new groundwater monitoring well at Army National
Guard's Camp Edwards (Massachusetts Military Reservation) confirm that
there are indeed measurable concentrations of explosive chemicals in
the groundwater aquifer, at depths 120 and 130 feet below the surface.
RDX (Royal Demolition Explosive) was found at concentrations of 2.9
parts per billion and 5.6 parts per billion. 1,3,5, Trinitrobenzene was
found at 10.0 parts per billion and 8.6 parts per billion, and several
other explosive compounds were detected as well.

The Army and regulatory agencies don't know the source of the
contamination - that is, whether it was the result of live fire,
burial, or other munitions activities. And it's not clear if findings
at these concentrations will, by themselves, trigger a remedial response.

The findings will, however, reinforce the need for additional sampling,
and one member of a community oversight group told the Cape Cod Times
(August 29, 1997), "I think this vindicates the EPA's cease-fire order
.... I don't think you can bombard your water supply for 60 years and
not have some effect."